OCEAN EXPLORATION COOPERATIVE INSTITUTE (OECI)
- Exploration Planning and Execution – Independently conducting and partnering with NOAA to support at-sea expeditions; Assisting with support of NOAA’s at-sea expeditions aboard NOAA, UNOLS, or other capably equipped vessels; and Fostering partnerships for ocean exploration with federal, public, and private programs and organizations.
- Ocean Exploration Technology – Identifying and integrating emerging in-situ marine exploration data collection technologies, including platforms and sensors, into ocean exploration expeditions; and Supporting innovation in telepresence and demonstration of new technologies that include sensing, physical sampling, autonomy, augmented reality, high-throughput communications, and long-term deep in-site observations.
Increase Utility of Ocean Exploration Information
- Data – Develop and participate in the development of ocean exploration data products, including supporting development and advancement of ocean exploration data management, dissemination, and visualization capabilities
- Science – Identify new research topics and physical, chemical, and biological patterns and processes that are revealed by exploration data and foster scientific community engagement
- Outreach – Support and advance NOAA ocean exploration related outreach, education, and public engagement, including communicating outcomes of exploration discoveries and technical innovations across sectors to facilitate transition of exploration results to research, application and management
- Education – Encourage the next generation of ocean explorers, scientists and engineers by: educating students about ocean exploration and increasing opportunities to participate in ocean exploration activities for individuals from under-represented groups, university students, and early career professionals
- Ocean Exploration Trust
- University of New Hampshire
- University of Southern Mississippi
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution