THE COOPERATIVE INSTITUTE FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC REGION (CINAR)
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
266 Woods Hole Road, MS#38
Woods Hole, MA 02543
- Sustained Ocean Observations and Climate Research – will focus on the development and improvement of data sets quantifying Atlantic basin climate forcing, and use of these data sets to examine the projection of climate modes (such as the North Atlantic Oscillation) onto the NES LME.
- Ecosystem Research, Observation, and Modeling – will use data collected by CINAR’s ocean observing assets and programs to understand and describe ecological and environmental parameters and processes in the NES LME, and will develop tools and techniques to improve regional ecosystem forecasting, ecosystem management, and ecosystem policy decisions.
- Stock Assessment Research – will focus on improving stock assessments of species found in the NES LME, including development and refinement of technologies and techniques for data collection, and the development of new modeling and forecasting approaches. These activities will support better management of fisheries and decision making in the region.
- Protected Species Research and Recovery – will focus on developing new technologies, research tools, and approaches for the assessment and recovery of protected species in the NES LME, including the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale, Atlantic salmon, and other species. These efforts will also lead to improvements in defining, protecting, and restoring essential habitat for these species.
- Ecosystem Based Fisheries Management – will support NOAA’s goals in promoting and establishing effective ecosystem-based approaches to management of fisheries in the NES LME and across the North Atlantic.
- Gulf of Maine Research Institute
- Rutgers University
- University of Maine
- University of Maryland – Center for Environmental Science
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of Massachusetts Dartmouth – School for Marine Science and Technology
- University of Rhode Island
|First 5-Year Award|
|Award Period||July 1, 2019 –|
June 30, 2024
|July 2019 – March 2020|
April 2020 – March 2021
April 2021 – March 2022
April 2022 – March 2023
|CI Review by|
Science Advisory Board
|Scheduled for 2023|