Mississippi State University
Science and Technology Center
1021 Balch Boulevard
Stennis Space Center, MS 39529
Dr. Robert Moorehead
- Climate Change and Climate Variability Effects on Regional Ecosystems - Research conducted under this theme will focus on the effects of climate change and climate variability on marine ecosystems, adjacent watersheds, and the socioeconomic well-being of the region. It will also address how the ecosystem affects climate processes.
- Coastal Hazards - Research in this theme encompasses the physical and biological systems, as well as the biological and socio-economic dimensions, associated with coastal hazards. Coastal populations have exploded in the past 40 years. Coastal hazards are major concerns to agencies responsible for the public good of coastal regions. The quality of the coastal environment is also a critical element of coastal hazards associated with a sustainable Gulf of Mexico.
- Ecosystem Management - Research in this theme will focus on promoting sustainable coastal development, facilitating community resiliency and enabling an ecosystem approach to management, including ecosystem-based fisheries management. These foci are based upon enhanced scientific understanding of the interconnections between the marine ecosystem and the adjacent watershed including their resource stewardship implications.
- Effective and Efficient Data Management Systems Supporting a Data-driven Economy - Research in this theme will investigate, develop, and test innovative data stewardship solutions, enhancing NOAA’s data management, visualization, and dissemination capabilities. This research will address gaps in data management capacity resulting from the development of new environmental data sensors and platforms, larger data volumes, and increased public demand for information.
- Dauphin Island Sea Lab
- Florida State University
- Louisiana State University
- University of Alabama, Huntsville
- University of Southern Mississippi