THE COOPERATIVE INSTITUTEFOR MESOSCALE METEOROLOGICAL STUDIES (CIMMS)
The University of Oklahoma
120 David L. Boren Blvd.
Norman, Oklahoma 73072
Dr. Greg McFarquhar
- Weather Radar Research and Development – Continual involvement to improve weather radar technologies, including conducting research, developing and improving technologies and transitioning ideas from research to operations. Radar techniques and processes improve the quality, coverage, accuracy, precision, and timeliness of weather products and forecasts.
- Stormscale and Mesoscale Modeling Research and Development – Operations in this area include conducting observational and modeling studies, and support, to investigate and improve weather models and systems. Research also includes understanding how forecasters utilize models and interpret probabilistic forecast guidance.
- Forecast Improvements Research and Development – Utilizing the latest improvements in modeling, radar, and forecasting technologies to design and implement training for National Weather Service forecasters. Improve impact-based decision support tools, improve the detection and short-term forecasting of severe convective weather threats, conduct readiness evaluations of forecasters and tools.
- Impacts of Climate Change Related to Extreme Weather Events – Review collected data to minimize time required to address problems with instruments that measure climatological factors, like temperature and humidity. Study how cloud processes and atmospheric boundary layers impact extreme weather events and tornado formation.
- Social and Socioeconomic Impacts of High Impact Weather Systems – Study, review, and question how the meteorology community communicates severe weather threats and how those threats are perceived by the public. Studies, surveys, and experiments increase the usefulness and usability of weather information provided to the public and partners.
|First 5-Year Award||Second 5-Year Award|
|Award Period||October 1, 2011- September 30, 2016*||October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2021|
|Performance Progress Reports||October 2011 – June 2012|
July 2012 – June 2013
July 2013 – June 2014
July 2014 – June 2015
July 2015 – June 2016
July 2016 – June 2017
|July 2016 – June 2017|
July 2017 – June 2018
July 2018 – June 2019
|CI Review by SAB||December 2015|
*CIMMS received a no-cost extension through June 30, 2017.
^CIMSS received a no-cost extension until September 30, 2022.